Total Pageviews

Friday, April 20, 2012

Simple Spring Pea Soup

When I think about Pea Soup, I am transported back to when my Mom used to make homemade Split Pea Soup with Ham, which was really hearty and delicious for a cold Winter's day.  This recipe, however, is completely different from the one I remember.  It is perfect for Springtime because it is super light with a hint of sweetness from the frozen peas.  You can make this as simple or as flavorful as you wish.  I enjoyed adding fresh garlic, cracked black pepper, nutmeg, and onion to this recipe, but you can use whatever you want!

____________________________________________

Simple Spring Pea Soup (adapted from the Taste of Home recipe)
Serves: 4 (dinner size servings)


Ingredients:

2 cups of peeled, cubed potatoes (I used 4 small russet potatoes)
2 Tablespoons butter
4 cups chicken broth (low-sodium preferred)
1 package of frozen peas
1 medium sized onion, chopped fine
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg


Directions:

In a large saucepan, saute the onion with the potatoes in the butter until lightly browned.  Add the garlic, pepper, and nutmeg and saute for 2 minutes longer.  Add in the chicken broth, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.  Add in the bag of frozen peas and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes.



Let the mixture cool for at least 1 hour.  Then, put the mixture into a food processor in small batches and puree until smooth.  Return the soup to the pan and heat through before serving.




_______________________________________________

I love this recipe for its simplicity.  It makes a nice light dinner, or could be served as an appetizer as well.  I could imagine it served chilled in the summertime too!  If I were to make this again, I would add some bacon to this recipe to give it some added depth of flavor... because everything is better with bacon, afterall ;-)

Enjoy!

Librarian turned Foodie











1 comment:

  1. Wow... this is a simple recipe. I love pea soup with ham, just like what your Mom makes (that sounds like I have actually had your Mom's soup, I haven't.... and I am not a creep)

    Looks yummy. And I am surprised you can use frozen peas!!!

    ReplyDelete