Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Home Sweet Home!

When Jeff and I travel back to Michigan, which is where both of us were born and raised, we always look forward to the wonderful meals that await us. Whether prepared at home by our moms, or ordered from a restaurant menu, they are always a great change of pace from what I/we make at home on a regular basis.  By the end of every trip, we usually feel as though we have gained a pound or two, but it is always worth it!

Since my actual birthday happened to be during the time we were in Michigan, I was able to celebrate with Jeff's family, as well as my own family, which is a rare occurrence since I moved to Minnesota almost 3 years ago.

Here are the culinary treats we were able to enjoy back home...

Friday, March 30th 


On Friday night, Jeff's parents took us out to the Huron River Hunting and Fishing Club (http://huronriverclub.com/) for dinner to celebrate my birthday, as well as the life of Jeff's 97-year-old grandmother who passed away the week prior.  Jeff and I have eaten at the Club a few times since his parents became members, and the food has always been delicious!  So, we were excited to go to the Club again and try something new.

Now that Jeff and I have become quite interested in wine, and plan to visit Napa and Sonoma for our honeymoon in June, special dinners never feel complete without a bottle of wine to share, (or in this case, three bottles for the family to share), and pair with the food we are eating.

Here are the wines we chose from the menu:

A light and delicious Pinot Noir.

An amazing Shiraz with a dry finish.

Another good St. Hallett Shiraz in a lower price point.


As for food, I ordered a Cedar Plank Whitefish, and Jeff ordered a Veal dish:

Cedar Plank Whitefish: The flavor imparted by the cedar plank made the whitefish remarkably tasty!  Served alongside was jasmine rice and crisp green beans.  This paired very well with the Flowers Pinot Noir.

Veal topped with crab meat, served with a side of linguine and asparagus.  This lent itself well to the more expensive Shiraz, which had the body to stand up to this rich dish.


Dinner with Jeff's family typically ends with an after-dinner drink of some sort.  Since it was my birthday, the Club offered us complimentary (mini) Hummers... a very tasty ending to our meal!

The perfect mix of alcohol and ice cream makes this drink a winner in my book!

Saturday, March 31st

I can't remember the last time my mom was able to bake me one of her famous homemade cakes for my birthday.  Since I was home for my birthday, I consider this birthday an especially lucky and memorable one!

Aside from making an AMAZING homemade birthday dinner of Chicken Piccata with a side of Penne with Pesto and a fresh salad, my mom made the most fabulous Carrot Cake you have ever tasted!  It had just the right amount of sweetness in the cake and the frosting, and was also very light... just how I like it :-)  

Yes, I was able to blow out all 28 candles successfully on the first try!  We'll see how I do when I get to 30 :-o

My sweet grandmother is in the background of the above picture.  I loved being able to celebrate my birthday with my parents and grandparents again like old times.  

Mmmmm... Cake!  Are you drooling yet?!  

I WILL be asking my mother for this recipe so that I can share it with all of you.  Being that I don't do much baking, I doubt I will ever execute this cake like she does.  There's just something about the way my mom is able to bake cakes and pies that is one-of-a-kind and unmatched by anyone else I know.  I always look forward to going home just to enjoy her homemade baked goods.  Yummy!


Until the next great meal,

Librarian turned Foodie








3 comments:

  1. Ohhh yes, make sure you get that recipe! Looks too good to not know how to make. Visits back home are always full of not just comfort from people, but def. the meals that you had so often and miss. Looks like one relaxing, yummy, and wine-filled visit! Sounds successful to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking dinner, and baking was definitely my pleasure. Celebrating your birthday with you made me happy, happy.
    I'm glad you enjoyed everything. It was delizioso if I do say so myself.
    Buon Compleanno, figlia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was delizioso, and I must have that cake recipe... unless of course it's a secret ;-)

      Delete