Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Feeling Blue? Try a Juicy Blucy @ The Blue Door!

Hello again dear readers!  I confess that it has been quite some time since I last greeted you with a new blog post.  I apologize :-/ I recently returned to my hometown of Clarkston, MI for a week of wedding planning.  Now back, I have resumed my daily kitchen routine (I sorely missed cooking!), as well as my desire to check off a few restaurants from the long list of those I want to visit before leaving this great city!

Tonight, I finally made my way to another 'Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives' restaurant... and what better to blog about than that?  

If you haven't heard, Minneapolis is known for its famous 'Juicy Lucy' burgers, which showcase a molten layer of cheesy goodness oozing out from the center of a thick burger patty.  Tonight we visited yet another famous burger joint, only this one resides in a quiet little neighborhood in St. Paul.  The Blue Door <http://thebdp.com/>  is home to its own version of the Juicy Lucy... the Juicy Blucy!  Instead of featuring a molten center of cheddar or american cheeses, this place is known for stuffing their 1/2 pound burgers with blue cheese.  The tangy richness of the cheese is the perfect compliment to the fatty meat of the burger.  

Jeff chose to get the burger that was featured on 'Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives'.  Their flagship burger, The Blucy, is served with just a layer of pickles and stuffed with blue cheese and finely chopped garlic.  Forget the condiments... you won't need them!  

I tried another version of The Blucy called The Merriam Park, which is a tribute to the neighborhood The Blue Door calls home.  It is stuffed with bacon, blue cheese, and garlic, and topped with a dollop of red currant jelly.  The bacon and currant jelly gave this a much more decadent flavor profile, with the richness of the bacon pairing nicely with the sweetness of the jelly... they captured the beloved salty/sweet combo with this one.  The only con was that my blue cheese did not melt as much as it should have.  However, the cheese in Jeff's burger was perfectly gooey and hot... and after trying his, I was in heaven :-)

I'm not sure burgers photograph the best, especially in low-lighting, but you get the idea!  

The inside of The Merriam Park with red currant jelly on top... unique, but good!

What better to enjoy with a burger than an ice cold beer?  Ironically, I ordered a Blue Moon, which fit perfectly with the theme of our evening... don't you think? :-)


What I learned tonight:

a) Blue no longer connotes being sad in my world!
b) Blue cheese is best served sandwiched between two thick patties of beef and cooked until melty!
c) The Blue Door is worth the wait... although 25 minutes on a Saturday night is not bad at all.  P.S. - they do carryout!


And with that, I bid you good evening and dreams filled with sweet and delicious things!

Librarian turned Foodie










1 comment:

  1. WOW that does look quite juicy. I had no idea Blue Cheese would be the way to go... and I loooove the fact that you drank a Blue Moon! I'm a baby when it comes to beers, but I actually do enjoy that drink. With an orange slice of course ;)

    Hope your wedding planning went well... I'm gettin' excited for you MA! I love wedding stuff.... then again, what girl doesn't lol

    ReplyDelete