Total Pageviews

Friday, April 6, 2012

Easter Quiche

Happy Easter Weekend!

For some reason, Easter always makes me think of one thing... Quiche!  Growing up, I remember my family always having a quiche on the table as a main dish for Easter Brunch.  There are many reasons why I LOVE this food, but the top reason I adore quiche is because it is very easy to make, and you can tailor the ingredients to your personal tastes!  I also find that it is an amazing way to use up the eggs, milk, and shredded cheeses that may have been in the fridge for a bit too long.

I happen to enjoy eggs cooked in almost every way imaginable, but even if you dislike the traditional fried, over-easy, or scrambled egg, you just might discover that you actually LIKE quiche.  Think of it as a savory custard pie that can have as much flavor, or as little, as you like.  Personally, I find that the more ingredients I put into my quiche, the better it tastes... but that's just my opinion.

I have made several different quiche recipes over the years: some with meat, some without; some with crust, some without.  I tend to prefer the crustless, meatless quiches, especially if I am planning to eat them for breakfast.  Otherwise, by adding in some turkey, ham, or sausage, this could easily become a very delicious dinner option on a busy night.

The beauty of quiche is that it is one of those fabulous one-dish-meals that doesn't take more than 10 minutes to put together and pop in the oven, and requires very little clean-up afterwards.

So, without further ado, here is the recipe I made this morning. Since it is Good Friday, this quiche had to be sans meat, but feel free to add in whatever you have a hankering for :-)

____________________________________________

Marvelous (Low-Carb) Veggie Cheese Quiche


Ingredients:

1/2 cup chopped onion
5 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheese (any kind - I prefer sharp cheddar or feta cheese)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained OR 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms



Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Spray the bottom and sides of a pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Place the onion evenly in the bottom of the pie plate.

In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, cheese, garlic, rosemary, and pepper.  Add in the spinach and mushrooms and stir until combined.  Pour the mixture into the pie plate and sprinkle the top with grated Parmesan cheese.

Bake the quiche at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then lower the oven's temperature to 300 degrees and continue to bake for an additional 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.  Serve in wedges.

Fresh out of the oven... YUM!
_________________________________________________


Don't like spinach?  Eliminate it or try some broccoli instead... just be sure to cook it most of the way before adding it to your egg mixture, otherwise it will be too raw.

Enjoy!

Librarian turned Foodie


2 comments:

  1. Ohhh I think I would add spinach and broccoli... and probably any veggie. I am not a huge eggy person, but when I can mix in veggies, I'm game. I love that you have fresh garlic ! Garlic, in addition to saving you from vampires, is one of the best little add-ins to any recipe!

    Enjoy your Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm...Veggies! Oh, fresh garlic is the way to go! I find that garlic powder is only good when used in a dry rub on meats (fresh will burn during the searing process) and other spice mixes - we use it to make our own Mexican spice mix. I always have a few heads of fresh garlic on the kitchen counter because I use it in practically everything I make... it must be an Italian thing ;-)

      Delete