Total Pageviews

Monday, March 26, 2012

What to do with fresh carrots and zucchini?! Read on...

In an attempt to use up the fresh carrots and zucchini in my refrigerator before I head out-of-town for a few days, I decided to research fun recipes that would incorporate both ingredients into one delicious creation!

Since I had just finished drooling over pictures of decadent cupcakes (my friend was showing me where she purchased some for her boyfriend's birthday), I was in the mood for something sweet.  Knowing that I gave up dessert for Lent, I had to ask myself... "What is sweet, looks like a cupcake, but is not a cupcake?" 

The answer... Carrot-Zucchini Muffins!

I searched for a muffin recipe that would lean toward the healthier side of baking, since I do plan to enjoy them with my morning cup of coffee tomorrow.

Here is what I stumbling upon, and, let me tell you, they smelled so incredibly scrumptious fresh out of the oven, it was difficult to resist devouring one then and there!

______________________________________________

Delightful Carrot-Zucchini Muffins

Ingredients:

¼ c. olive oil
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
½ c. nonfat Greek yogurt
1 large carrot, shredded
1 zucchini, shredded
¼ c. honey
¼ c. maple syrup

1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. old fashioned rolled oats
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
½ t. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ t. nutmeg

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffins cups with paper liners.

Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients and let stand for 15 minutes.

Fill muffin cups ¾ full with batter. Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove muffins to a cooling rack. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.




These turned out incredibly moist, light, fluffy, and not too sweet!  Very morning friendly, if you ask me :-)



Librarian turned Foodie

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY! Anything that combines fresh veggies and carbs has my stomach stamp of approval!

    ReplyDelete