Total Pageviews

Friday, May 11, 2012

Crispy Skillet Potatoes with Bacon

I'll admit, everything truly is better with bacon!

If you read my previous post about Rabbit Stew, you may have noticed that a key ingredient in this recipe was in fact, bacon.  Truth be told, I do not often buy/cook bacon.  I must admit that it was my Fiance's idea to purchase it for use in the Rabbit Stew recipe.  (He did get the 1/3 less fat variety, which is just as good as the full-fat stuff, in my opinion).

It isn't that I don't enjoy bacon.  To admit such a thing would be crazy talk! I'm not a huge bacon-for-breakfast person.  However, I absolutely adore the intense flavor it imparts into any dish.   I also believe there are very few savory recipes that are not enhanced by this ingredient.

Today, I share with you the 'Mother of all Potato Recipes!'  My Fiance went head over heels for this flavor-packed side dish, and the leftovers didn't last long!

For once, I can take full credit for this recipe, as it is one of my own invention born out of an attempt to use up a 5lb. bag of Russet Potatoes. I began by simply pulling out all of the potato-friendly ingredients in our kitchen, and then got to work.  Here is the recipe I came up with...

______________________________________

Crispy Skillet Potatoes with Bacon


Ingredients:

3 strips of bacon
1 medium size onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), and more for drizzling
6 medium-sized potatoes, thinly sliced (~ 1/8"-1/4" thickness) using a food processor or by hand
Fresh asparagus spears (tough ends removed), sliced into 1 1/2 inch long slices
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated

Directions:

1:  Cooked the bacon in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, turning once to brown both sides.  When bacon is crispy, remove it to paper towel to drain.  Reserve the bacon fat in the pan.

2:  Saute the onion and rosemary over medium heat in the skillet with the reserved bacon drippings until tender.  Add the asparagus and garlic to the pan.  Saute 2-3 minutes longer.  Stir in the black pepper.

3: Add the 1 tbsp. of EVOO to the pan, then add in the sliced potatoes and stir to combine with the other ingredients.

4:  Layer the potatoes evenly in the skillet and let them brown over medium heat for an additional 5 minutes.  Do not stir!

5:  Crush the reserved bacon strips into small pieces and sprinkle them evenly over the top of the potatoes.  Follow with a generous sprinkle of grated Parmesan Cheese.  Drizzle evenly with EVOO.

6:  Set the oven to broil and put the entire pan of potatoes under the broiler for 10-15 minutes, or until the top layer of potatoes is golden brown and crispy.

Serve while hot!

As you can see, we had no problem devouring half the pan just the two of us!

These potatoes paired extremely well with the Pinot Noir we had with our meal:

It had a really awesome looking wax sealed bottle!

______________________________________________

I hope you give this recipe a try!  I guarantee it will become part of your recipe repertoire in no time :-)


Librarian turned Foodie



1 comment:

  1. Mhmmm bacon. I'm glad your man bought 1/3 less fat, got to keep it a tad healthy when consuming those little strips. This looks darn tasty. And I have never seen a wine bottle with the wax seal thing going on.... As long as it doesn't make the wine taste like wax I believe I would enjoy it. :)

    PS I like your description of your man going 'head over heals' for this side dish. I just imagine him eating one forkful and falling over in food bliss lol

    ReplyDelete