Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My new produce find!

Ever heard of, or seen, a Sumo Citrus Fruit?!  Well, if I had to describe it (after just having eaten my first one for breakfast!) I would say that it's a delicious cross between an orange, tangerine, and clementine!  It is sweet, super easy to peel, seedless, and not at all messy :-)  We can thank the Japanese for this amazing new citrus varietal, complete with its rather odd appearance...

Does it make you think of a Sumo wrestler?

Lucky for us, it is now grown in California!  I'm hoping that as it gains popularity, and becomes more widely produced, it will also decrease in price.  As of now, these beauties (uglies?) are more than $2.00 each at my local grocery store!  Hence, why I purchased just one Sumo this time around, and bought a large bag of navel oranges to keep me satisfied the rest of the week.  

If you want to learn more about this unique new fruit, visit the official website: http://www.sumocitrus.com/sumo_description.html


To experiencing new foods...

Librarian turned Foodie

No comments:

Post a Comment