Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Book Break 2


Honestly, if I could have any superpower, it would be the ability to speed-read a book in under an hour.  That way, when someone asks if I've read 'this' or 'that' book, I can say 'Why, yes, I have!' instead of, 'No, not yet... but it's on my list!'  The latter response is typically met with: "And you call yourself a 'Librarian'?!"

Does everyone think that all a "Librarian" does is sit around and read books all day? I wish!

I do have a busy life [shocker, I know!], and, therefore, my list of books-to-read is getting longer and longer.  So, to make myself feel like I'm accomplishing (aka reading) more, I have chosen to tackle several books at one time!  I recently finished reading Quiet [featured in my first Book Break post].   It was excellent... so very insightful and educational.  I highly recommend reading it if you haven't yet.

Here are a few others that I recently read or I am currently reading:

Life of Pi is the current reading selection for the student Book Club at the high school where I work.   The film adaptation of this story was recently released, so we decided to read the book first... which is always a wise decision, in my opinion!  As the saying goes... Don't judge a book by its movie :-)  

I found this book to be a little slow at first due to the incredible amount of detail the author puts into his writing.  As a result, the reader is able to readily picture the setting of his story, and therefore, has no choice but to become engrossed in the life of the main character, Pi.  Once I reached the halfway point of Martel's novel, it picked up a bit.  It is the ultimate story of adventure and the strength of the human spirit.  Although it doesn't make my "favorite books" list, I'll still give it 3 out of 5 stars.  



This book came highly recommended by a fellow literature buff/teacher at my workplace.  I  happened upon it at the beginning of the school year, and considered reading it then.  After reading the first few chapters, I can tell it will be a very engrossing (gross?), shocking, and somewhat irreverent experience that I'm going to absolutely devour from beginning to end!  I'm thinking this will be a book that some people may hate if they have a hard time facing the hard facts about death and the fate of bodies donated to Science.  If you find this stuff interesting, I urge you to give it a try, as I have :-)



This was the book I started reading during my recent trip to Marco Island, Florida!  I have read about a third of the book so far, and it is a brutally honest depiction of a struggling single mother who is trying to keep her life on track while raising her daughter.   I love the truth behind the characters in this story... it is incredibly believable and heart-wrenching at the same time.
A full synopsis can be found here:  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14781200-the-boy
   



_______________________________

Happy Reading!

Librarian turned Foodie

No comments:

Post a Comment