Total Pageviews

Friday, August 23, 2013

Pumpkin Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies

I hate to say it, but September is just around the corner, and soon after, Fall will be upon us! Where did Summer go?!

I love Summer, but at the same time, I look forward to Fall for so many reasons... one of which is the classic flavors and recipes we associate with the change of seasons.

You know how much I enjoy all things pumpkin.  So here is a delicious cookie recipe that is my new go-to when I need my pumpkin and/or chocolate fix anytime of year!  Thank goodness for canned pumpkin puree :-)

These cookies are hearty, with a chewy texture, the perfect amount of sweetness, and a hint of pumpkin and spice.  Even my husband loves them, and he is picky about his cookies!  Did I mention that these are super healthy?! If you make them for kids, and don't reveal this part to them, I guarantee they won't have a clue they aren't eating a typical "consume in moderation" cookie. I would even condone eating these for breakfast when you need to grab something quick and satisfying. 

I hope you like these as much as I do...

Pumpkin Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Dash ground cloves
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup pumpkin puree (I like Libby's brand)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.

In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and chocolate chips.  Set aside.


In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla.  



Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.  Do not over-mix, the cookie dough will be very thick.



Spoon about a tablespoon of cookie dough per cookie onto your baking sheet and form into desired cookie shape.  I tend to keep mine rounded and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.  



Bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly golden brown on top and bottom.  



Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack.  You can enjoy these warm or at room temperature.  

Note: If I am eating these after they have cooled, I enjoy reheating them for a few seconds on low power in the microwave to slightly melt the chocolate chips... so gooey and delicious this way :-)

_________________________________________

If you never thought a cookie could be healthy AND scrumptious, you must try this recipe!  This is also a very forgiving recipe that would be quite difficult to botch.  The prep time for these cookies is roughly 5 minutes, making it the perfect quick treat to whip up for school lunches, bake sales, or unexpected company.

Enjoy the flavors of Fall any time of year with these beauties!

Librarian turned Foodie





No comments:

Post a Comment