Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Spicy Chipotle Veggie Patties!

I am not a Vegetarian... but I am a veggie lover! So, I often find myself cooking more meals sans meat, and incorporating veggies into things like meatloaf, pasta dishes, and Mexican cuisine.

I don't know about you, but just the idea of a veggie burger used to frighten me!  I never understood the appeal.  I agree that the frozen beef variety isn't any better [they are very similar to hockey pucks, in my opinion] and if I had my choice at a barbecue, I'd probably decline both of them and make due with the sides!

This recipe born out of an experiment in the kitchen with a few odds and ends I found in my pantry and refrigerator.  My husband and I had been consuming quite a bit of meat, so we both felt it was time for something different. Not all of my experiments go according to plan, but once in a while, I am able to create something amazing and worthy of a permanent spot in my recipe binder.  My husband is the ultimate judge of my food, and he loved this creation!


Spicy Chipotle Veggie Patties
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 - 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 large onion
3 cloves garlic
1 cup fresh parsley
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 egg

3/4 cup garlic flavored bread crumbs
1 tsp lime zest
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (any variety)

1 tomato, seeded and diced (for topping)

For Chipotle Mayo:
Combine:
1/2 cup light mayo
1-2 Tablespoons chipotle in adobo sauce
Lime zest

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Line a pan with parchment paper and spray the parchment with non-stick spray. Set aside.

Combine the first 8 ingredients in a food processor and blend until well minced and incorporated.

Transfer the contents of the food processor into a medium size bowl.  Add the remaining 4 ingredients to the bowl and mix well with your hands.  If the mixture feels firm enough to form into patties, you are done.  If it is too wet, add more bread crumbs.  If it's too tight, add in one egg white to bind and moisten the mixture.

Chill the veggie mixture in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour prior to cooking.

When ready to cook, divide the mix into 4 equal parts and form into 1 inch thick patties.

Arrange the patties on the parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the patties are slightly crispy on the outside.  FYI: You do not need to flip the patties.

Transfer cooked patties to plates and top with 2 tablespoons of chopped tomato and about 1 tablespoon of the Chipotle Mayo.

Enjoy!



These veggie patties were so moist and full of flavor, and the chipotles in adobo really added the perfect amount of kick!  The rice and mushrooms lent a nice texture and meatiness to the patties, while the tomato added a nice freshness to every bite!  The creaminess of the chipotle mayo reinforced the flavors in the veggie patties, and the addition of the lime zest in the mayo cut through the richness of the dish.  I know "rich" isn't the first word to come to mind when describing a pure vegetable creation, but believe me, this "burger" is super satisfying with the fiber of the black beans and brown rice to fill you up.  

If I could find a way to market these to a place like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, I totally would!  I'm not sure how they would hold up to freezing, but next time, I will give it a try!

Librarian turned Foodie 


1 comment:

  1. Question- what is adobo? I must be living under a rock b/c I have no idea what this is you speak of.....

    These look wonderful. FUNNY YOU POSTED THIS b/c I just found a recipe for veggies burgers to make but fiance LOVES SPICY things. Like he will eat things that will his nose run. So I think your burgers seem like a perfect thing to try out next week.

    Patties that turn out moist and full of flavor = super cooking success

    ReplyDelete