Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Heirlooms... not just old treasured objects!

I'm definitely not here to talk about the kind of heirlooms passed down from generation to generation in a family.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good antique item that represents the personal history of those who came before us.  It's pretty awesome, to be quite honest.

Yet, these days, I find I get a bigger kick out of the heirlooms I find at the grocery store.  If you consider yourself a true foodie,  you undoubtedly know what I'm talking about.  The latest issue of my Cooking Light subscription dedicated an entire issue to these beauties! Heirloom varietals of almost every kind of fruit and vegetable exist today, and are definitely growing in popularity.  Granted, this special type of produce is less abundant and slightly more expensive than the typical varietals, but they are well worth experiencing for yourself!

Now, I LOVE tomatoes!  The health benefits of tomatoes alone should persuade you to add them to your diet.  What's sad is that more often than not, the taste of a generic tomato falls flat.  I can't tell you how many times I've been disappointed with the tomato crop at my local stores, especially when tomatoes aren't in season.  Don't get me started on those that are served at chain restaurants!  It's disgraceful.  I am picky about my produce, and a bad tomato is very bad!

When I happen upon the perfectly ripe, juicy, and slightly sweet tomato, I tend to rave about it!  My husband knows this.  So, when we spotted packs of heirloom tomatoes at Costco, I couldn't believe my eyes!  I immediately grabbed a pack with a lovely yellow, purple, and a few other varieties of red tomatoes in it.  What a treat :-)

Slices of deep red/purple tomatoes and bright yellow tomatoes... molto bene!

I must say, it will be difficult to go back to buying the ordinary tomatoes.  The vibrant flavors to be experienced with just one bite of an heirloom tomato is unlike anything else, and each color has a slightly different flavor (my favorite was the yellow one!).  There are no words to describe their deliciousness.  You simply must go out and buy some of these yourself.  If you are a professed tomato hater, I will bet that you have yet to try a really good one.  You won't know how a real tomato is supposed to taste until you do :-)

While tasty on their own, they are fabulous with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette!

Savor fresh produce this Summer :-)

Librarian turned Foodie



No comments:

Post a Comment