Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Chocolate Souffles

Admittedly, this is probably one of the most ambitious dessert recipes I've ever struggled to make made!  It originates from a cookbook that is choke full of recipes of a similar nature.  So, if you are looking for a kitchen challenge, this is the cookbook for you:


Thankfully, I did not spend money to acquire such a wonderfully frustrating compilation of recipes.  This was actually one of many "free gifts" that my husband's American Express card offered to us many months ago.  We were intrigued by this one, and said, what the heck?!

I probably wouldn't have purchased this for myself if I had flipped through it first.  I like a challenge, don't get me wrong, but almost every recipe in this particular cookbook requires some very obscure ingredient(s) that you would never have on hand 99.99% of the time!  The glossy pictures only make things worse, causing you to drool over how delicious everything looks!  Beware... these delectable palate pleasing recipes require a trip to the store, and hunting of the shelves for items you have never bought before in your life. Joy.

So, when I came across this particular recipe for Chocolate Souffles, I danced a happy dance!  Not only was I craving a light and delicious chocolate dessert, but I actually had ALL of the required ingredients to make said dessert :-)  Rejoice!

If you haven't tried making any kind of souffle in your life, you've probably at least heard about how difficult they can be to "master."  After my third time making this recipe, I still don't know that I've truly mastered the art of souffleing (?), but I can say this... they tasted damn good every time!

Here is the recipe:


































Step 3:  I scaled this recipe back to make just 2 servings instead of 6, since souffle must be eaten right out of the oven, piping hot!  I'm sure it would turn out more perfectly if I stuck to the recipe for 6 servings, though.  Which means, I must have a dinner party for 6!


Ta Da!


Top with powdered sugar (or not) and dive in!

Next time, I want to make a delicious chocolate sauce to pour over the top... it would be amazing!  I think this would also turn out better if I had smaller ramekins.  Some day I will invest in some :-)

Bon Appetit!

Librarian turned Foodie







1 comment:

  1. BRAVO! You are brave to attempt this.... after seeing the movie 'Because I said so' and Mandy Moore fails to make a perfect souffles, I have been scared to attempt. Looks like you did a delic job- and even while changing the amount!

    I would probably crumble graham crackers on top... and then ooze some melted chocolate or peanut butter.... but that is just me :)

    That is pretty awesome your hubby's card help you snag this book for free! The only thing my cards ever get me are cash back or gift cards to random places! Ew.

    ReplyDelete