Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Who doesn't love Pumpkin (Roll)?!

Sadly, I know some "crazy" people who aren't "big fans" of pumpkin... as in Pumpkin Pie (My year isn't complete without it!)... Pumpkin Roll (Best rolled dessert EVER!)... Pumpkin Bread (Um... enough said.)... Pumpkin Muffins (Hello breakfast :-). 

Now, when my husband confessed to me early in our relationship that he was 'Not a big fan of Pumpkin Pie,'  I about fell off my chair! 'Who doesn't love Pumpkin Pie?!' I squawked. HE doesn't... apparently :-/ 

Since that fateful day, it has been my mission to introduce him to everything 'Pumpkin,' and hope to God he grows to love it so he will help me eat my Pumpkin creations!  Otherwise, I will undoubtedly eat all of them by myself... and that is definitely too much of a good thing!

To preface my next recipe, I must say that I don't really see the need to go through the hassle of roasting a baking pumpkin and making homemade pumpkin puree.  I know some might believe that this is the only way to make a truly fresh dessert.  Okay, fine.  Call me lazy, but I find that Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin Puree is just as delicious as the fresh stuff.  I have eaten Pumpkin Pie made from fresh pumpkin, and let me tell you, I had a hard time choking it down!!!  Yes, the person who made it was trying it out for the first time, but it just goes to show you how much work it is to achieve the perfect texture when doing it yourself.  So, I stand by my Libby's in the can :-)

On to the recipe...

This morning on Trisha Yearwood's Food Network show, she was celebrating Halloween by making a Pumpkin Roll!  I jumped up quickly to grab a pen and paper so I could jot down the recipe:-)  As with all things pumpkin --- did I mention that I love pumpkin soy candles too?! --- I am a huge fan of the Pumpkin Roll... complete with its deliciously sweet cream cheese/butter filling (drool!). Growing up, I remember my Mom making this delicious dessert every year.  I thought it was about time I tried making it myself.

___________________________________________

Here is the recipe, scaled down by a third to fit the smaller size jellyroll pan I own (13.25 x 9.25 x .63 inches) --- Trisha used a slightly larger pan on her show.

Pumpkin Roll

Cake Ingredients:

2 eggs
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1/2 t. lemon juice

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ginger
1/8 t. cloves
2/3 t. baking powder
pinch of salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a hand mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk together the first four ingredients in a large bowl for 5 minutes.

In a smaller bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.  Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, a little at a time, with the mixer on low speed. 

When the ingredients are well incorporated, pour the batter out onto a greased jellyroll pan and spread into an even layer. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes.



Let cake cool slightly before inverting it onto a tea towel that has been dusted with powdered sugar.



While cake is still warm, roll it up in the towel width-wise and place in the refrigerator to set up for about an hour.



Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:

6 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
2/3 stick of butter (room temperature)
2/3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Directions:

Cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth.  Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix together on low speed. 



Once the mixture has become creamy, remove the cake from the refrigerator and unroll.  Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake, leaving about a half inch border all the way around.




Tightly re-roll the cake and dust the outside with powdered sugar.  Double-wrap the roll in plastic wrap and foil to keep it secure, and place it back in the refrigerator for another hour to set up before serving.




SLICE & ENJOY! 



_______________________________________________

I must say, this recipe was an overwhelming success!  Not only did I think it turned out perfectly, but my husband LOVED IT!  Mission complete :-)

Although there are many steps involved in creating this beautiful dessert, it is a very straight forward recipe requiring very basic pantry ingredients.  I don't consider myself a great baker, yet this dessert is one that I will definitely be making again and again with confidence for friends and family!

I hope you all have a wonderfully pumpkin-filled Halloween celebration this Wednesday!

Happy Halloween :-o

Librarian turned Foodie




2 comments:

  1. I am totally entertained and impressed with your writing, and your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy Jeff liked your pumpkin roll. If he rejects pumpkin pie, try drizzling some homemade chocolate sauce over his piece!! :)-
    FYI- You know my penchant for adding more fiber, less sugar to recipes. Well, I have accomplished that with this recipe by reducing the sugar to 1/2 cup and reducing the butter in the filing to 1/2 stick. Tastes great.
    **I always use unbleached four. Love, Mom XXOO
    So proud of you.
    So, when will you start to write that book!?!

    ReplyDelete